KORG - MICROKORG - Analog Modeling Synthesizer / Vocoder
The microKORG, with its unique, easy-to-use interface and incredibly big sound, this little beast definitely sounds bigger than its size.
The microKORG creates sounds of truly epic proportions, which is why it’s become the darling of so many international performers and producers. It combines the sounds of the world’s best loved analogue vintage synths, providing you with a sonic arsenal including ultra-fat bass lines, screaming leads plus massive textured sound washes. And if that isn’t enough to get you leaping about, it’s got a built-in vocoder, allowing you to create a further wealth of high-octane sounds and effects.
The microKORG boasts the same dual-oscillator DSP synthesis engine found in Korg’s critically acclaimed MS2000 and offers a wider selection of waveforms than any other modeled synth. Oscillator 1 features a total of 71 waveforms . These include traditional analog waves like saw, pulse, sine and noise, plus more unique choices like Vox wave and cross wave. Together they provide a cool selection that can be modulated to produce an extensive range of timbres.
In addition, 64 exclusive DWGS waveforms from Korg’s classic DW-8000 enable the microKORG to reproduce a broad collection of imitative sounds. Sounds like bells, electric pianos, guitars, basses and more that would be difficult reproduce on an analog synthesizer. You can also apply Ring and Sync modulation from Oscillator 2 to create the kind of complex timbres that are the true sign of an advanced synthesizer.
Four filter modes are available, offering -12 dB (2-pole) low pass, high pass and band pass configurations plus an extra steep -24 dB (4-pole) low pass setting. All include resonance. Two classic ADSR envelope generators and two MIDI-syncable LFOs provide the power to shape your sounds. Add a Virtual Patch matrix that lets you create advanced modulation settings – routing the Mod Wheel to control filter cutoff or pulse width, using an LFO to control panning or amp level, etc. – and you have performance that is unheard of from a synthesizer in this price range!
The microKORG includes an 8-band vocoder with many advanced features. You can capture and “freeze” the formants of your voice, and then play it across the keyboard, or shift the formant frequency to make your voice sound male, female, like a child or just plain wacky! Best of all, the microKORG comes with its own microphone so you can start having fun right away.
Three types of modulation effects (chorus/flanger, phaser, ensemble), three types of delay effects (stereo, cross, L/R), and a two-band equalizer add the finishing touch to the microKORG. The delays can be synchronized with the arpeggiator or to an external MIDI clock – a great feature for live performances or for laying down tracks. All effects can be edited to create your own, unique sounds.
There’s no complex menu structure – all parameters are located on the panel for easy access to any function. A large dial and LED illuminated buttons provide easy program selection even on a dark stage. With its beige-gold body, wooden side panels and retro-influenced design, the microKORG has a look that’s both vintage and funky.
The main features of the Korg microKORG include :
- Sound Generation Method: Analog Modeling Synthesis System
- Multi Timbral: 2 (max, Normal/Dual Mode)
- Voices: 4 voices
- Sound Source: 2 Oscillator + Noise Generator, Multi Mode Filter (-24dB/oct LPF, -12dB/oct LPF/BPF/HPF), EG x2, LFO x2, Virtual Patch x4
- Vocoder Program: 4 voices
- Sound Source: 1 Oscillator + Noise Generator, EG x1, LFO x2, 8 Channels vocoder, Level and pan of each channel can be edited, Formant Shift function
- 128 programs
- Effects: Modulation effects (3 types), Delay (3 types), Equalizer
- Arpeggiator: 6 types
- Keyboard: 37 Keys (mini-keyboard, velocity sensitive)
- Inputs: AUDIO IN 1, and 2
- Level switch: LINE/MIC, [AUDIO IN 1, 2 (LINE)], [AUDIO IN 2 (MIC)]
- Outputs: L/MONO, R and Headphones
- MIDI: IN, OUT and THRU
- Display: 3 characters x1 line with 8 segment LED
- Power Supply: DC 9 V (AC adapter), or six AA alkaline batteries (sold separately)
- Power Consumption: 6.4 Watt maximum
- Dimensions: 20.63"(W) x 9.13"(D) x 2.76"(H) 524mm(W) x 232mm(D) x 70mm(H)
- Weight: 4.85 lbs. 2.2 kg
- Accessories: AC adapter (DC 9 V, 600 mA), Condenser Microphone