DAVE SMITH INSTRUMENTS - EVOLVER
The original desktop Evolver is a compact monophonic synthesizer that packs an amazing amount of sonic power into a small package. It features two analog oscillators and two digital oscillators utilizing the waves from the legendary Prophet VS. Classic Curtis analog lowpass filters and real analog VCAs round out the analog section. But what really sets the Evolver apart from the rest of the pack is the way in which analog and digital are integrated. The LFOs, step sequencer, and three separate delays can all be synced for massive, rhythmic, time-based effects in stereo.
- Monstrous four oscillator voice architecture.
- True stereo signal path with separate Curtis analog low-pass filters in each channel.
- Dedicated onboard effects (feedback, delay, distortion, high-pass filter, etc.).
- 16 x 4 step sequencer really brings the Evolver to life with evolving “pseudo-polyphonic” sounds – you won’t believe it's mono!
- Stereo audio input for audio processing of external stereo or mono signals, enabling the synth to act as a unique stereo effects processor.
- Everything (sequencer, LFOs, and delay) syncs perfectly to MIDI.
- Easy-to-navigate matrix-style interface for quick editing and real-time control of 8 parameters simultaneously.
- Multiple Evolvers can be daisy-chained for more polyphony.
- Editor for Mac OS and Windows. Available from SoundTower
- Evolver is a monophonic (one voice) synthesizer.
- Four oscillators in total: two analog, two digital
- Analog Oscillator waveshape are Sawtooth, Triangle, Saw-Triangle, and Pulse (with voltage-controlled analog Pulse-Width modulation)
- Digital Oscillators select from 96 wavetables from the Prophet-VS (128 x 12 bits), and 32 user-loadable (via MIDI) Wavetables (128 x 16 bits). The Digital Oscillators get trashy as the frequency gets higher, as with the original VS.
- Hard Sync on the analog oscillators
- FM and Ring Mod on the digital oscillators
- Separate Glide per oscillator
- Real voltage-controlled analog lowpass filters - not digital recreations. 4-pole/2-pole switchable, fully resonant (in 4-pole mode). There are two separate filters, one for the left channel and one for the right.
- Analog Voltage Controlled Amplifiers (VCA), again one for each channel.
- Dual digital 4-pole Highpass filters (one per channel); place before or after analog electronics.
- Stereo audio inputs; Noise generator
- Envelope Follower and Peak Detect from External Input to use as modulation sources
- External Input can be used to gate envelopes and/or step the Sequencer
- Three snappy ADSR envelopes
- Four LFOs (sync with sequencer and MIDI)
- Dual (left and right channel) tunable feedback loops; modulate frequency and amount
- Delay with 3 taps; each with separate time and amount modulation. Syncs to sequencer/MIDI. Normal feedback and additional feedback path through analog filters
- Distortion! Digital, one for each channel, can be placed before or after analog electronics
- 3 Banks of 128 Programs for 384 total Programs - dump to/from MIDI
- 16 x 4 Analog-style sequencer - syncs with MIDI
- Extensive Modulation capabilities, including audio-range modulation. Bipolar (+/-) modulation.
- Easy to program matrix-style front panel with 8 endless-turn rotary encoders
- A bunch of MIDI stuff
- The internal computer and DSP chips can be reprogrammed via MIDI, for easy feature additions
- Evolver is 10.75" wide, 6" deep, and 1.5" high (27 x 15 x 4 cm)