CHANDLER LIMITED - GERMANIUM PREAMP/DI
The GERMANIUM Mic Pre is the first in a new series designs by Chandler Limited designer Wade Goeke. The series implements classic germanium transistors in all class A, transformer balanced, circuits.
These historically smooth sounding transistors were the basis of the earliest transistor designs by Neve (1053, 1055, 1057), EMI ( TG12345 MKI), Telefunken, and Fairchild. Those familiar with these units can attest to the special sound of the germanium transistor.
The GERMANIUM series runs on +40 volt power, high current, and has a huge +34 output before clipping.
- GERMANIUM DRIVE controls the input gain of the Germanium amp. The amount of gain from this is related to the Feedback control position.
- PAD and THICK switches can be used to control the tone of the Pre Amp. Use Pad to run Gain and Feedback controls near full for increased low end and harmonic distortion. The thick adds a gentle low frequency rise for warmth and roundness.
- FEEDBACK controls the amount of out signal fed from the amplifier output back to its input. It also acts as a volume type control this knob which affects the tone of the unit. When positioned to the left there is less volume, less Total Harmonic Distortion, lower noise floor, and more high frequencies. When positioned to the right the is more volume, more Total Harmonic Distortion, and a low end peak around 30hz. Combine this with the Germanium Drive control, thick, and pad switches for a variety of sounds.
- VU Meter is a 10 segment LED meter that shows the unit output in two ranges. Low range -12 to +3 db and high range +5 to +20 db.
- The unit also features 48V phantom power switch, a phase reverse switch and a DI input on the front panel.
- Requires optional PSU-1 or PSU-2 external power supply.