ABLETON LIVE 9 - Music Production & Performance DAW
Ableton Live 9 is a powerful DAW and music sequencer for MAC and PC with innovative real-time features and incredible editing capabilities.
Ableton Live is one of the stalwarts of music production software, and version 9 brings with it many new features and workflow enhancements. New features include Session View clip automation, a new comprehensive browser to find sounds faster, lots of new sounds with preset macro controls, and better effects including the new Glue compressor and EQ Eight. Significantly, a new pitch-to-MIDI engine also allows the extraction of MIDI data from harmonic, rhythmic and drum parts.
Live 9 offers a variety of ways to manipulate your music - conventional "multi-track tape-recorder" type recording, where tracks are recorded in a linear fashion and the song runs sequentially through the track, and another more "on-the-fly" method of playback where clips are triggered, automatically timed, and looped over a number of bars. This clip-triggering method is great for live performance as well as studio production, allowing during-gig tweaks to your music, or even recording loops on the fly. There are a number of dedicated hardware controllers designed to control Ableton Live 9 in this way, including the Ableton Push, AKAI APC products and Novation Launchpad, making Ableton Live a great tactile musical production environment.
Included with Ableton Live 9 is a comprehensive selection of sounds, effects and virtual instruments. This can be expanded further with additional third party plugins and sounds, all of which can be manipulated via MIDI or by keyboard input with easy-to-assign controller mapping - simply set the global "learn" mode and make assignments instantly. Full automation and controller assignment over virtually every parameter in Live 9 give complete freedom to create interesting and polished results, now made even easier by the new clip automation feature.
With a great workflow, and incredibly flexible methods of working, Ableton Live 9 remains one of the best DAW/Music Production solutions on the market.
Ableton Live 9 new features include :
- Session automation: In Session View, automation can now be recorded in real time directly within clips. Automation can move together with clips between Arrangement and Session View.
- Find sounds fast: Live’s new browser puts all instruments, effects, samples, and plug-ins in one easy-to-navigate view. Drag and drop folders from anywhere on your computer, search as you type and navigate from the keyboard to find everything quickly.
- Discover new sounds: Live comes with a large selection (3,500 in the Suite edition) of production-ready sounds, which were carefully crafted with the help of over 40 artists, sound designers and engineers. All sounds feature Macro controls for fast access to their most meaningful, musical parameters.
- Get your sound right: Live’s studio effects have all been reworked for even better sound and usability. The Glue Compressor is a new effect - an authentic model of a legendary 1980s console bus compressor. EQ Eight has an audition mode for isolating frequencies and an expandable spectrum display. The Gate and Compressor effects feature a Gain Reduction view which shows changes in signal level over time.
- Extract music from samples: Live’s new Harmony, Melody and Drums To Midi tools extract natural-feeling MIDI directly from the favorite parts of your music collection. You can also sing, tap a rhythm, play any solo instrument, then use Melody or Drums to MIDI to turn your recordings into MIDI clips that you can edit and reuse with any sound.
- Edit the details: Transpose, reverse and stretch MIDI notes or warp clip automation and add curves to automation envelopes. New tools and an improved workflow allow fast and flexible editing of musical ideas.